Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning at Harvard University
Learning Lab Graduate Fellow
More info coming soon!
Center for Community Arts Partnerships at Columbia College Chicago
Manager, Project AIM
The Arts Integration Mentorship Project (Project AIM) exists to explore the relationships between arts and academic learning, with the intention of creating opportunities for deeper, more meaningful, and more personally-relevant learning experiences in the classroom. Classrooms are transformed into studios and performance spaces where students are engaged in a powerful learning cycle in and through the arts.
- Spearheaded creative documentation initiative for artists and teachers
- Designed, facilitated, and documented school-wide professional development in executive functioning, culturally-relevant curriculum, and restorative practice
- Analyzed data to produce preliminary impact piece summarizes our alignment with the school district's strategic plan
"Jacob made the time completely worthwhile, exciting, fresh, and safe. I went to that session reluctantly, and I adored every aspect! He also facilitated great discourse and I enjoyed the small group." - Workshop participant, 6th grade Language Arts teacher
Coordinator of Digital Pedagogy & Mentorship, Convergence Academies
The Convergence Academies initiative aims to raise student achievement, increase students’ and teachers’ 21st century technology and media skills, and build students’ college and career readiness skills. The project will advance youth learning by building media literacy and digital media skills through real life inquiry-based projects in and out of the classroom. It will build the capacity of teachers to understand digital media integration and competency-based badging as strategies to meet curricular goals based on Common Core standards.
- Developed ongoing and responsive training and coaching modules for our cohort of digital media mentors
- Researched and analyzed data to produce regular progress reports and a final paper on the role of digital media mentors in the school environment
I believe that art is the way that we make sense of the world around us.
Creating art allows us to engage with and respond to our lives and the lives of others. And it is an inherently communal experience because it affects everyone involved, from creator to participant to viewer. Theatre in particular is a uniquely experiential art form, which makes it a powerful tool for dialogue.
Taking part in the artistic process allows us to take ownership of complex ideas and topics. Through their participation in artmaking, young people can come to view themselves as the authors of their own story, empowered to effect positive change in the world.
Teaching artist with the following organizations: